A61 Appointed Persons Lifting Operations Training
Duration: 4 Days (+ 1 day CPCS Testing)
Who Should Attend Appointed Persons Lifting Operations Training?
This programme will give an understanding of the appointed person’s responsibilities and how to fulfil them. It will also provide the candidate with the ability to interpret and apply sections 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the BS 7121 Safe Use of Cranes guidelines.
Aim of Appointed Persons Lifting Operations Training
The aim of this course is to provide candidates with underpinning knowledge in order for them to understand the role and responsibility of the crane operator. The law says that all lifting operations involving lifting equipment must be properly planned by a competent person, appropriately supervised and carried out in a safe manner.
Objectives of Appointed Persons Lifting Operations Training
- Observe regulations and Codes of Practice
- Follow safe systems of work including method statements
- Take personal responsibility
- Describe different types of cranes and associated terminology
- Understand crane documentation
- Understand crane stability, duty charts and safety devices
- Observe British Standard 7121
- Appreciate tower cranes
- Recognise the role of appointed persons
- Plan a lift
- Health and Safety Regulations / The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment
- Regulations [LOLER] 1998
- Planning the lift – Risk Assessment and Method Statements
- Slinging/Banksman and Crane Operations
- Load Handling/Handling Methods [Stacking and De‐Stacking]
- Weight Assessment and Capacities [Effect of Sling Angles]
- Selecting appropriate equipment
- Practical Lifting [Signalling/Manoeuvring and Transferring Loads]
- Cranes: Types & Terms / Crane Documentation / Crane stability, duty charts and
- safety devices
- British Standard 7121 / Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
- [PUWER] 1998
Appointed Persons Lifting Operations Training Methods
The course consists of a structure of theory lessons and classroom based exercises.
Following the successful completion of the course candidates can complete the CPCS theory and practical tests to receive a red CPCS card for A61 Appointed Person Lifting Operations.